I have a message for any company that forces job applicants to go through an online application process:
Stop it.
I never thought I'd long for days when pen and paper was the norm, but you've turned what should be a simple and straightforward task into the most convoluted and poorly designed process I've ever encountered.
I like pen and paper applications because, on the whole, they look as though they've been designed by someone with a functioning left brain hemisphere (that's the logic and language one, FYI) instead of the result of a 6-year-old with ADD trying his hand at web page design.
Seriously. Hire a web page designer. Give me enough space in a text field to enter a coherent answer. Don't make me take a 100+ question personality test, especially if you're only going to put one question on a page at a time. For that matter, don't make me press the next button after every question I answer or piece of information I enter. And here's a crazy thought, have a tester actually try to use your application process before casting it off into the ether that is the Internet. If they haven't clawed out their own eyes, trashed their own computer in frustration or simply passed out from the tedium before they're done, then you know you've got a winner.
6.04.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Jesus H christ don't get me started on online data bases. My favorite is the system that has you copy and paste your resume in it. Ok I understand that I'm a little OCD when it comes to formatting. Ok I'm down right sick. When you're the kind of person that starts an MQP meeting with "Ok Helvetica or Garamond?" there are bigger problems here. But I really want to meet the person that thought "Ok we'll make this easy. Resumes always need so much formatting. Why don't we take that out of the picture and just have them copy and paste is as plain, unformatted text... I mean all the information will be there."
ReplyDeleteThis is basically like saying I like orange juice, hot dogs and ice cream why not just put all of them in a blender and eat them at the same time?
I mean has anyone ever written something as a plain, unformatted document?
Secondly what the hell is wrong with just uploading at .doc file? I mean I know Microsoft office has only been around for what 20 years so it would be understandable that someone wouldn't have a copy of office floating around... Really? I mean can't even the retarded bastard child of office (AKA Microsoft Works) open .doc files?
I think I have at system that would be a little more effective. I've decided to translate my enitre resume into Wingdings and then personally deliver it to the guy who though copying and pasting was a good idea. I will then hot glue a set of headphones to his ears and set Pierce Brosnan's singing contribution to Mamma Mia on repeat until he can recite my entire resume from memory.
Copy and Paste... Great Idea...