6.12.2009

Japan is Mocking Us

So I was being followed by a car today, a Toyota FJ Cruiser, I believe it's called. If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's a big SUV-y thing, looks kinda like a Hummer but brighter and less angular. It was raining today, so it had its wipers on, and I noticed it had three wipers, as opposed to the traditional two. And I realized that I can't take a car with three windshield wipers seriously. Once you've made a car so big it requires an extra wiper, it becomes a parody of itself. The car ("car") has crossed over from "big" into "ridiculous." So I got to thinking, maybe Toyota did it on purpose. Some Japanese engineer says to himself, "Americans like big cars? Well, I'm going to build the most ridiculously large car I can think of. It's going to be so big, it'll need three goddamn windshield wipers." Except we didn't get the joke. We already had the Hummer, an armored troop transport that someone thought would not at all be a silly way to transport the kids to school. You can't parody that. So somewhere in Japan there's an engineer laughing at us, and the only evidence of it is that one silly extra wiper.

1 comment:

  1. As amusing that idea is (and as much as i would like to think it true) the truth in, there have been several different vehicles throughout the years with three windshield wiper. It's not that the FJ is bigger; in fact, it's no bigger then some (EX)GM SUV's. What sets it apart however, is a windshield that's ridiculously short for it's width. Therefore the standard two wiper setup is useless, any wiper that fits vertically to the windshield, will not cover enough of the horizontal. So, They added another one. Older MG's were like this too.

    ReplyDelete